Monday, January 14, 2013

How to make a change...

So as many of you know, I am going to Arizona State University and is majoring in Healthy Lifestyle Coaching. Never would have guessed would you? haha. I am taking a class this session call Fundamentals of Wellness. I loveeeee it. It is exactly what I want to be learning about. Past classes have all been about how to overcome the cultural difference when treating patients. Yes it is interesting, but I swear I have taken like 5 classes on it and I am getting to the point where I am just going to snooze through them. So finally I am getting a class that isn't so much on what to do in the work place. Any whoooo. I will probably be getting a lot of my posts from this class now, joy :) We just finished reading about the steps it take to make a change. So here they are, and you should follow them.

1. Shaping. This involves starting slowly. Have that goal in your mind and take baby steps to get there. Do not overwhelm yourself and do not skip steps. Reward yourself for meeting your goals regularly.

2. Visualization. Visualize your plan of action. A lot of athletes do this. I remember as a swimmer and a  diver, I would think about every part of my 100yard butterfly or my front 2.5 off of three meter. By doing this, your are preparing yourself mentally for he challenge ahead (yes it will be a challenge)

3. Modeling. I did this one a lot. You learn behaviors by watching others perform them. Like I have said before, when I changed my life into a better and healthier life, I followed every health blog, every athlete on facebook and pinned every tip on pinterest I could find. Along the way you twist and change things to work for you, to make it your own. But you always need a starting point.

4. Controlling the situation. If you are trying to quit smoking but all your friends are smokers, are you really going to be able to quit? Probably not. Some will, and those people are amazingly strong. You need to surround yourself with people or an environment that will help you make a change. Do not make it harder for yourself.

5. Reinforcement. Positively reward yourself!!! This will keep you motivated. Obviously, if you are trying to lose weight, don't reward yourself with food, think of something else that won't set you back on your goals.

6. Changing self talk. BE POSITIVE. Tell yourself you can do it, even if you slip up. We are all human and we will eat that chocolate cake, but do not quit because you slipped and fell. Get up and keep running to the finish line.

Change your behavior, and reach your goals!

No comments:

Post a Comment