Tuesday, October 23, 2012

10 steps for a better future

People are always asking, "how did you do it?" Well here are some of the steps I took to cutting my body fat percentage in half. "Was it hard?" Yes at times it is, especially when I'm surrounded by things I can't eat. I'm seriously a fat kid at heart. I have the worst self control and the biggest sweet tooth. If chocolate is involved, well then, the eating healthy flies straight out the window. I'm a sucker for chocolate. Here are a couple things that will help you, whether you are just trying to be healthier or lose weight
1) throw out the junk food or simple carbs!!!! You will NEVER succeed with temptations surrounding you. JUST DO IT!!! It's the hardest step but one of the best to succeed
2) don't drink your calories, carbs and sugars!!! Which means only drink WATER (shoot for a gallon a day)!!! I drink coffee too but I try to avoid the Starbucks fufu drinks, as my dad calls them. I mix coffee with my protein shake
3) DON'T STARVE YOURSELF!!! I made this mistake starting off. Not that I was purposely starving myself but for my metabolism I cut my calories a little too low. If you are able to, find out your metabolism so you know exactly how much your body needs. If you can't then stop eating when you are SATISFIED and eat when your HUNGRY.
4) eat 5-6 meals a day. Meal 1- eat like a king, meal 6- eat like the poor. Your first meal should be filled with protein, fats and veggies. This will keep you full throughout the day, keep the cravings off and give you your energy.
5) avoid sugars and carbs your last one or two meals before you go to bed because your body likes to store those more then proteins at night
6) give yourself cheat meals. Obviously not every day. No more then once a week. But if you never treat yourself, one day your going to freak out and eat everything greasy and fatty in sight. I promise you won't gain 10lbs because of it and DON'T PUNISH yourself the next day for doing it. Simply go back to clean eating
7) DRINK WATER- oh did I already say that? Well it's important
8) don't completely cut your carbs!!! Yes you can cut out simple carbs but keep the quinoa and all the other good carbs in there. Unless you are planning on doing fitness competitions, you need to keep them. This doesn't mean go crazy, you still want to keep them because carbohydrates is what will give you energy. I always know if I didn't eat enough carbs because I get sluggish and by the end of the day I am out for the count, which doesn't happen as bad if I eat enough of them.
9) get sleep!!! Your body needs it. I am religious about it. I calculate every night to make sure I get AT LEAST 7, but always strive for 8.
10) lift weights!!! DO NOT do just cardio. You might get skinny but will also be flabby. Weight training will help you lose, tone and firm. You also burn calories AFTER you are done lifting. I promise you won't be bulky and I PROMISE you, you will see the best results. So go out there and lift some iron and don't forget to help your muscles by eating protein after!!!

Good luck everyone. Summer is 8 months away!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment